Efforts since 2001 to design self-managing systems have yielded many impressive achievements, yet the original vision of autonomic computing remains unfulfilled. Researchers must develop a comprehensive systems and software engineering approach to create effective solutions for next-generation enterprise and sensor systems.
That vision has enriched the landscape of systems research, and has in turn been enriched by insights gained within the past decade. It has resulted in a substantial roster of achievements, especially in enterprise and cloud computing but also in communications, sensor networks, and other fields. The idea that computer-based systems can and should be self-managing is having an enormous impact on system design and evaluation.
Yet in some ways that success is deceptive. Researchers have devised innovative autonomic solutions to individual problems, but the larger, more difficult task of combining these point solutions into autonomic systems remains. More consideration must be given to integrating solutions, and to choosing solutions from the range of possibilities—to autonomic systems engineering.
This project shall investigate and extend Software Engineering Practice for Autonomic/Adaptive/Self-Managing Systems.
1. Simon Dobson, Roy Sterritt, Paddy Nixon, Mike Hinchey, "Fulfilling the Vision of Autonomic Computing," Computer, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 35-41, Jan. 2010, doi:10.1109/MC.2010.14
2. Sterritt R, (Oct 2009) "Keynote: Autonomous and Autonomic Systems: Paradigm for Engineering Effective Software Based Systems", Proceedings of 33rd Annual IEEE Software Engineering Workshop 2009 , Skövde, Sweden, 13-15 October 2009, IEEE
3. Bustard DW, Sterritt R, (Oct 2008) "A Two-Level Robustness Model for Self-Managing Software Systems", in "Robust Intelligent Systems" (Edited by Alfons Schuster), Springer, ISBN 978-1-84800-260-9, Pages 43-60
4. Bustard DW, Sterritt R, (Dec 2006) "A Requirements Engineering Perspective on Autonomic Systems Development", in "Autonomic Computing: Concepts, Infrastructure, And Applications (" (Edited by Parashar M., Hariri S.), CRC Press, ISBN 0849393671
5. Bustard DW, Sterritt R, Taleb-Bendiab A, Laws A, (Jun 2006) "Autonomic System Design Based on the Integrated Use of SSM and VSM", AI Review, Vol. 25, No. 4, Springer, ISSN 0269-2821 , Pages 313-327
6. J.O. Kephart and D.M. Chess, “The Vision of Autonomic Computing,” Computer, Jan. 2003, pp. 41-50.
First Supervisor: Sterritt, R Mr
Second Supervisor: Wilkie, FG Dr
Collaboration: This project does not involve collaboration with another establishment
The project will involve undertaking a comprehensive study of the Software Engineering field and then test and derive novel best method approaches for developing autonomic (self-managing) systems, for instance, for the Cloud.